Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Moment In History



So I forgot to mention that I am right now in Washington D.C. to watch the inauguration. My friends and I got up at 3:30 am, walked through a city empty of cars, but full of people at 4:30, then sat down in my very good spot on the Mall near the very front of the public section. It's been a humbling and moving and fascinating day to see the ritual of a powerful democracy peacefully change its government. I hope to write more about this day when I get back to NYC, but for now I'll say that he has lived up to the moment. In his inaugural speech he did exactly what I hoped he would: He spoke honestly -- even gravely -- about the world we live in and finally did what presidents should always do: treated us like adults. He demanded a lot from us. I only hope that we -- and he -- can rise to the challenge.

No comments: