Sunday, October 26, 2008

That's What I Said!

George Packer makes an observation about the change in McCain over the last year and asks questions about his psychological makeup that I also asked on my very first post on this blog. Packer writes:
Back then [in January] he was witty, he was relaxed, he was appealingly combative, he was generous. For sheer talent at engaging with voters he had it all over both Obama and Clinton. The contrast now is so severe that it makes running for President seem like a personal disaster on the scale of a prolonged nervous breakdown leading to physical and psychological ruin. This campaign has done something terrible to McCain.
Compare to what I wrote:
A man that had, or felt that he had, so much personal honor has had to endure wave after wave of soul-eating compromise over the course of the last two years... Politicians break their promises and change positions with the winds all the time, of course. But, this is John McCain with his enormous ego and enormous belief in his personal honor that we’re talking about. What has he had to do, psychologically, to enable him to betray his own personal sense of honor on so basic a level?
Ok, Packer is more eloquent (of course!) but I don't my observation is all that shabby. And the fact that I wrote this on September 7th while Packer wrote his post on October 16th gives me extra points!

No comments: