Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Live Blogging The Election

Ok, I'm starting this late, which means a few things have already happened. Here we go.

11:58 -- Obama is about to speak and I'm running out of power. Good night, and good luck to the entire country!

11:26 -- A very gracious speech by John McCain. Evoking the historic achievement of having an African-American as president was first class.

11:10 -- CNN calls it: Obama will be the next president! (I called it first!)

10:28 -- At this point the networks need to keep the drama going, but there's really no more drama. One thing for me to ponder later (as if I have the time) is some exit polls.

10:08 -- I'm calling it. With Ohio, Pennsylvania and New Mexico, Barack Obama will be the next president of the United States! Also, Chris Shays loses in Connecticut. As my friend points out, he was the last Republican Congressman in New England.

10:02 -- Comedy Central's Indecision 2008 opening graphics are great.

9:30 -- It's really close in Virginia and... North Carolina.

9:23 -- Ohio! Is it possible for Obama to lose with this pickup?

9:15 -- McCain just won Georgia, so far 60 to 39, which is by a much wider margin -- if it holds up -- than I thought was expected.

8:54 -- Elizabeth Dole loses in North Carolina. I wonder if this signals a real Democratic sweep?

8:40 -- CNN calls Pennsylvania. With this and New Hampshire -- already called -- going to Obama, it looks pretty much impossible for McCain. And I'm excited.

8:00 -- FiveThirtyEight predicts Obama: 349, McCain:189, winning 52.3% of the popular vote.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

12:47PM On the softer side of election night, I offer more of a "cultural" report from NYC: it felt like New Year's Eve at the party I was at, at the bars I passed by in the Streets along the Lower East Side, East Village and SoHo and also in the subway. Cars honking, people cheering from the roof-top, couples making out on the corners. It was if Gotham had been liberated.

Also, I noticed at the party that I was at just how broad Obama's coalition is: from the very left wing liberal of liberals to former republicans and hedge fund managers. His tent is big and I hope that he can hold it together.

Good night, and thank you to Mr. Espinosa whose blog kept us going. I only hope that he gets his battery re-charged quickly so that he can help keep President-Elect Obama and the Deomocratic Congress focussed and on-track to repairing this Great Country.